[alsa-devel] ASoC mixer control names v.s. well-known "Master"

Stephen Warren swarren at nvidia.com
Mon Apr 11 21:34:23 CEST 2011

Mark,

In ChromeOS, user-space attempts to manipulate controls with "well known
names" to control e.g. output volume. The names it uses are probably based
on Documentation/sound/alsa/ControlNames.txt, since the code was originally
written for x86 platforms that use those names.

Is that document relevant to ASoC, up-to-date, and binding on audio
drivers, or more of a de-facto FYI?

Those names don't exist for Tegra, or rather the WM8903, and I imagine for
any ASoC drivers. I had imagined this could be fixed by creating virtual
mixer controls in asound.conf that re-direct requests to that real control.
Is that how things typically work? Or, should the ASoC machine driver
create controls with those names?

Thanks.

--
nvpublic