[alsa-devel] HDA record fails with FIFO error

Xu, Andiry Andiry.Xu at amd.com
Thu Apr 7 10:54:50 CEST 2011

Hi Takashi,

Currently I encountered an HD audio issue reported by customer on a
Lenovo x100e system. Sometimes, but not always, when starting a
recording stream through the HDA controller, the controller generates a
large amount of interrupts (~40 000 interrupts per second). After this
has happened, jack sense (i e unsolicited events from the codec) stops
working until the next system reboot.

SD0STS returns a FIFO error (0x28) in interrupt handler. The interrupt
service routine acknowledges this error but does not do anything to
counteract the root cause to the problem, so it appears again and again.
Restarting the stream does not seem to help. Enable MSI or not does not
help either.

The issue occurs on 2.6.35 and 2.6.38-rc8+, have not tried latest kernel
yet but I think it's also there. FIFO error indicates FIFO overrun
occurring while the RUN bit is set, but the driver simply acknowledge
and clear the error. I wonder what the root cause and the right
treatment are in this case. Any suggestions?

Thanks & Best regards,
Andiry