[alsa-devel] hdspmixer broken for 96khz

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Tue Apr 5 12:29:09 CEST 2011

>> > Any chance to recover the old broken configuration?
>> > Then we can track down the bug.
>> attached
>
> This isn't the old configuration, it's the new one. (it has my new magic
> code "HDSPMixer v1" right at the beginning)
>
> The foremost question is: when did you wrote your old configuration
> file?

hm, good question! i have been using this preset file for years, maybe i've
stored it with the new hdspmixer. but with this preset file, the 96khz mixer was
not shown.

> But what I can say for sure is: if you used hdspmixer before 1.0.24 on a
> non-MADI card like Multiface/Digiface, loading this preset file in
> 1.0.24 would break the configuration. Is this what we're talking about?

exactly!

> Reason: defines.h contains HDSP_MAX_CHANNELS, it was 26 until adding
> support for MADI cards, bumping this value to 64.
> And now let's have a
> look at the preset load/restore code:

oh shit :/

> The only possible way to circumvent this is to check the file size.
> 3*3*8*26*some_constant is different than 3*3*8*64*some_constant, and we
> would be able to guess if it's a pre-1.0.24 preset file or a newer one.

that sounds reasonable. at least printing a big fat warning would be
appreciated!

btw, when working on the hdspmixer it would be cool, if you keep the fireface in
mind. someone seems to work on ffado support and i suppose the fireface mixer
can share some code with the hdspmixer.

cheers, tim

tim at klingt.org
http://tim.klingt.org

Contrary to general belief, an artist is never ahead of his time but
most people are far behind theirs.
  Edgar Varèse