[alsa-devel] ALC662 NID 0x09 is not unmuted anymore - intentional?

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Thu Sep 30 20:12:59 CEST 2010

At Thu, 30 Sep 2010 23:18:51 +0600,
Valentine Sinitsyn wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I happened to spend last couple of evenings figuring out what's wrong with
> microphone on my laptop (Lenovo Y550P, in case you are interested in). It
> has Intel HDA soundcard with Realtek 272 codec. No, I'm not going to ask for
> a help on devel mailing list, at the very least because I know what's wrong
> myself. But this knowledge poses some questions regarding snd-hda-intel
> kenel driver (more precisely, patch_realtek.c, which is part of it) I want
> to clarify. Anyway, sorry for the long intro :)
>
> It quickly appeared that AUD_IN widget of the codec (NID 0x09) has no way to
> be unmuted - its input amplifier is muted at the very beginning of
> alc662_init_verbs and is not connected to any ALSA control (maybe it
> should). I remembered the mic was working some time ago, so I've skimmed
> through kernel versions and found the offending commit:
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=cec27c891b805b2ab2302f9fcbdacb6f179ac0d4
>
> One can clearly see from it that before it was applied (i.e. Linux 2.6.34),
> this widget was unmuted in alc662_auto_init_verbs (thus it happened to every
> auto-configured card, including mine), but it is not unmuted anymore (as far
> as I can see, for any model except maybe ecs - I haven't dug into this too
> much).
>
> The question is if it is intentional (i.e. there should be some ALSA switch
> connected to 0x09 input amplifier) or is it a bug?

If the NID 0x09 not controllable via a mixer element but it influences
on the capture behavior, then it's a bug.  The change above should
influence only the default value, which will be usually overridden by
alsactl, PA or whatever.

Could you give alsa-info.sh output of your system?  Run with
--no-upload option and attach the output.

thanks,