[alsa-devel] Problem with VIA VT1708S and git versions of alsa-driver.

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 05:06:22 CEST 2010

2010/9/28 Mark Goldstein <goldstein.mark at gmail.com>

> Hi,
>
> > In theory, a motherboard with 6 audio jacks at back panel does not need
> > retasking pink and blue jacks as output pins , it seem to me that the
> > "smart5.1" switch is redundant for your motherboard.
> >
> > it seem this patch may has side effect on those via codec since they need
> > differentate the front mic and mic at rear panel for retasking
> >

> http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-kernel.git;a=commitdiff;h=bbe959733a719ecffda8ecd7d4b9631a2745e8b4;hp=6650d30dfe1cf9ef6e639bd898d3b2f637f4bf3b
>
> Looks like a possibility.
>
> What bothers me is the fact that with git version the card is not
> detected properly (on oS 11.1). I missed this detail in my report just
> because I did not try alsaconf after the problem first occurred.
> That is, alsaconf does not show it in the list of cards.
> So I guess that the sound driver uses some defaults (it does indicate
> the this is hda-intel) that just does not match the actual codec.
> While when I use stable 1.0.23 version card is detected by alsaconf
> and works correctly.
>
> From the other side, the problem on oS 11.3 looks very different.
> I did not update driver there, just installed additional kernel that
> also has alsa 1.0.23.
>
> How it could lead to "Capture1" switch "reversing"? And now when I
> found it out and set it to "mute", Mic works correctly with recording
> SW and produces distorted audio in Skype in exactly the same
> configuration where it worked perfectly a couple of weeks ago.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Mark Goldstein

How did you perform the recording since there are two capturing subdevices ?

Are you sure that Skype/pulseaudo open the same subdevice ?

"Capture1" switch is associated with Node 0x14 [Audio Input]

Refer to the graph in hda_analyzer , when you place the mouse cursor inside
the "out" box of the Node 0x1e (Front Mic Pin) , there are three red lines
indicate the possible connections to 0x14, 0x16 and 0x17

Unlike the other HDA codec , your vt1708s has only one "Input Souce" control
and two ADC

For the other HDA codec, the number of "Input Source" controls is  usually
equal to the number of ADC, this mean that some input sources (e.g. mic  )
can only be connected to one ADC .

As you can see in the graph, node 0x14 can be connected to 0x1e only

All the connected audio path are displayed as blue line and it is strange
there are no blue line connected to  both the node 0x13 and 0x14 [Audio
Input]