[alsa-devel] how to mandate the use of PCM plugin?

Stas Sergeev stsp at aknet.ru
Mon Sep 27 08:53:49 CEST 2010

  27.09.2010 09:54, Mark Brown wrote:
> >  What I am trying to solve, is the problem
> >  that people have with my snd-pcsp driver.
> >  Pulseaudio uses "hw" to bypass some pcm
> >  plugins, and then people are left with the
> >  non-functional softvol control, and they blame
> >  my driver.
> >  I am looking for the way to mandate the
> >  softvol plugin even for the "hw" device.
> Why not work on fixing the actual problem if it's not already been
> fixed?
I am not sure what's the actual fix would
look like. I wasn't followed the alsa development
for a long time. Is there a way to consistently
replace the softvol controls? If so, then there is
a bug somewhere. Also, the snd-pcsp is configured
to use the "asym" plugin - I wonder if it is safe to
replace also that.
So the question is: can _all_ the plugins be safely
replaced by the software that opens "hw", or,
maybe, some are not, and then, they should be
somehow mandated?
>> Is this possible?
> No, and it would still be unhelpful since it would leave you with two
> soft volume controls in operation.

But this is not a real problem, this is the same
as if you have the volume control in the hardware.
You then also have 2 volume controls, or more.
And pulseaudio can just check whether or not
the volume control is present, and then simply not
to add its own. I dont think this is a real problem.
The real problem is when the mixer bar doesn't
work at all. :)
So what the real fix do you think of?