[alsa-devel] how to mandate the use of PCM plugin?

Stas Sergeev stsp at aknet.ru
Mon Sep 27 06:48:29 CEST 2010

  Hello.

27.09.2010 04:58, Mark Brown wrote:
>> Is it possible to somehow mandate the
>> use of a PCM plugin? For example, the
>> PC-Speaker.conf defines the use of softvol
>> plugin for "default" and "front" devices.
>> It is still possible for the software to bypass
>> it by the use of "hw", and some software
>> does exactly that.
>> Is it possible to somehow make some
>> plugin a mandatory?
> What is the actual problem you are trying to solve here?  It's not
> possible to *mandate* anything to all users, if nothing else someone
> with administrative access can always rebuild whatever part of the
> system is trying to restrict them.
What I am trying to solve, is the problem
that people have with my snd-pcsp driver.
Pulseaudio uses "hw" to bypass some pcm
plugins, and then people are left with the
non-functional softvol control, and they blame
my driver.
I am looking for the way to mandate the
softvol plugin even for the "hw" device.
Is this possible?