[alsa-devel] Emulated IEC958 Card

Jassi Brar jassisinghbrar at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 14:42:46 CEST 2010

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Mark Brown
<broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 09:20:16PM +0900, Jassi Brar wrote:
>
>> I would really appreciate your take on the idea if you could spare a
>> few moments please.
>> Actually I just might get our AP design folks to implement such a
>> dedicated shifter IP in later SoC.
>> Also, I don't wanna direct the bloke(Angat) in a direction that is
>> outright unacceptable
>> to maintainers -- if it is so.
>
> The idea of having a full IEC958 emulation layer that just needs a
> generic serial port or shifter accessed through some standard interface
> seems entirely sensible.  This isn't so different to what things like
> the McBSP, PXA SSP or FSL SSI ports do.

Yup, I knew those features but am unaware of any situation where they drive out
IEC958 - they just run I2S, SPI, TDM (?)
Also, IMO, it would make more sense to implement it as a Virtual card
independent
of ASoC(outside of linux/sound/soc/), with number of devices equalling
the number
of shifters registered.

Thank you.