[alsa-devel] Emulated IEC958 Card

Jassi Brar jassisinghbrar at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 14:20:16 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 11:05 PM, Jassi Brar <jassisinghbrar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  Ok, so there is already the iec958 plugin, but wouldn't it be nice to have an
> 'Emulated IEC958-Card' driver that implements implements all the possible
> components of the IEC958-cum-AES/EBU specification. The user could have
> the look and feel of a real card via ALSA control and audio i/f ....
> User Data can be
> provided too (which lacks in the iec958 plugin ?)
>
> This driver might be boon for low-end embedded devices which have neither IEC958
> controller in the SoC nor a codec chip that supports it. In fact the
> SPDIF controller
> of one SoC that I know implements only a subset of the standard with
> limitations.
>
> The only requirement for the emulated-iec958 card would be a shifter
> with deep enough
> fifo, that can shift out bits at around 6Mbps (for 48KHz Stereo). And
> most SoCs have
> such a resource available that can be put to the use -- OMAP has
> McBSP, Samsung's
> and other SoCs can leverage a SPI controller.
>
> Any suggestions welcome.

ASoC folks, Mark, Liam,
I would really appreciate your take on the idea if you could spare a
few moments please.
Actually I just might get our AP design folks to implement such a
dedicated shifter IP in later SoC.
Also, I don't wanna direct the bloke(Angat) in a direction that is
outright unacceptable
to maintainers -- if it is so.

Thanks