[alsa-devel] alsactl adds volume controls?

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Thu Sep 2 16:21:03 CEST 2010

Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Sep 2010, David Henningsson wrote:
> > Interesting. I went looking into the snd_mixer_selem_* documentation (PA
> > uses the simple mixer interface), but I couldn't find a function for
> > determining whether a control is user-defined or not, would you mind
> > pointing me to it? Thanks!
>
> This logic is bad. We can have user-defined controls for the user space
> drivers or daemons.
>
> The additional flag to mixer open functions - as proposed by Takashi - is
> more appropriate in this case when there is a system handling the software
> volume itself. But the question is quite same: How we can distinguish the
> software volume control? I think that some TLV information might do this
> job well.

I think applications should not be required to distinguish software
controls.

The problem is that PA tries to use this control although it is inactive.
The obvious solution is that this control should be marked as inactive,
and that the softvol plugin marks it active only while actually running.

What is the reason for alsactl not trying to restore inactive controls?

Regards,
Clemens