[alsa-devel] hda-intel (ALC889) - sound loops/repeats continuously, and general brokenness

Juliano F. Ravasi ml at juliano.info
Fri Oct 22 15:55:10 CEST 2010

On 10/21/2010 01:41 PM, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Please check in /proc/interrupts whether that interrupt actually
> works.

There is no interrupt at all being assigned to hda_intel.

Yesterday, all of a sudden, the problem fixed itself and everything
about this driver started working as expected. I restarted the driver to
be sure and all problems returned. Then I noticed these two lines in the
log at the time when the problem fixed itself:

hda-intel: No response from codec, disabling MSI: last cmd=0x20cb2001
hda_intel: azx_get_response timeout, switching to single_cmd mode: last

So, I added to my modprobe.conf:

	options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 single_cmd=1

And now everything works fine and there is an hda_intel line in
/proc/interrupts. I don't know what are the implications of these
parameters. Particularly single_cmd seems to flag an incorrect operation
of the driver. Perhaps the driver should detect and blacklist this card
from MSI?

Thank you very much for your help!

Juliano F. Ravasi ·· http://juliano.info/
5105 46CC B2B7 F0CD 5F47 E740 72CA 54F4 DF37 9E96