[alsa-devel] hda-intel (ALC889) - sound loops/repeats continuously, and general brokenness

Juliano F. Ravasi ml at juliano.info
Fri Oct 22 15:55:10 CEST 2010

On 10/21/2010 01:41 PM, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Please check in /proc/interrupts whether that interrupt actually
> works.

There is no interrupt at all being assigned to hda_intel.

Yesterday, all of a sudden, the problem fixed itself and everything
about this driver started working as expected. I restarted the driver to
be sure and all problems returned. Then I noticed these two lines in the
log at the time when the problem fixed itself:

hda-intel: No response from codec, disabling MSI: last cmd=0x20cb2001
hda_intel: azx_get_response timeout, switching to single_cmd mode: last
cmd=0x20cb2001

So, I added to my modprobe.conf:

	options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 single_cmd=1

And now everything works fine and there is an hda_intel line in
/proc/interrupts. I don't know what are the implications of these
parameters. Particularly single_cmd seems to flag an incorrect operation
of the driver. Perhaps the driver should detect and blacklist this card
from MSI?

Thank you very much for your help!

Regards,
Juliano.

--
Juliano F. Ravasi ·· http://juliano.info/
5105 46CC B2B7 F0CD 5F47 E740 72CA 54F4 DF37 9E96