[alsa-devel] RME MADIface 192 kHz problem

Fredrik Lingvall fl at ifi.uio.no
Thu Oct 21 15:03:29 CEST 2010

 Hi all,

I have a problem running the RME MADIface card at 192 kHz. At that
speed the number of channels for the card is reduced to 16. I can set
the sampling rate to 192 kHz using:

# amixer -c 1 cset numid=2 9
numid=2,iface=MIXER,name='Sample Clock Source'
  ; type=ENUMERATED,access=rw------,values=1,items=10
  ; Item #0 'AutoSync'
  ; Item #1 'Internal 32.0 kHz'
  ; Item #2 'Internal 44.1 kHz'
  ; Item #3 'Internal 48.0 kHz'
  ; Item #4 'Internal 64.0 kHz'
  ; Item #5 'Internal 88.2 kHz'
  ; Item #6 'Internal 96.0 kHz'
  ; Item #7 'Internal 128.0 kHz'
  ; Item #8 'Internal 176.4 kHz'
  ; Item #9 'Internal 192.0 kHz'
  : values=9

but when I try to read data at 192 kHz I always get a :

Invalid argument

from

the snd_pcm_hw_params_set_channels(...)

and

snd_pcm_hw_params(...)

functions when I try to set the number of channels. The

snd_pcm_hw_params_get_channels_max(...)
snd_pcm_hw_params_get_channels_min(...)

functions also seems to return the wrong number of max and min number
of channels.

And, jackd will not start using 192 kHz. See the thread here:
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9169

What is needed to get this card running at 192 kHz?

Regards,

/Fredrik

--
Fredrik Lingvall, PhD