[alsa-devel] user space control app driver interface for sound soc

Peter Hsiang Peter.Hsiang at maxim-ic.com
Fri Oct 1 01:10:15 CEST 2010

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 02:55:39PM -0700, Peter Hsiang wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 30, 2010, Mark Brown wrote:
> > > This depends on what's idiomatic for the data you need to download -
> > > what is the data?
> > The data could be filter coefficients, or maybe even proprietary
> For these it depends; frequently these are (like your existing EQ
> configuration) included in platform data but it really depends on how
> they are generated and if they are custom to a particular system (eg,
> dependant on plastics or particular speakers).

In addition to the platform data, I would like in the future be
able to load in data values that are stored in or generated from the
user space.  Would I use the ALSA interface for this, or would it
need to be a separate interface?

> > binary code image that goes into the chip's memory.
> For this use request_firmware() and associated interfaces.

Is it more common to load the firmware from the kernel space?
Is there an established mechanism for loading from user space?