[alsa-devel] S6000 ASoC drivers with multi-component

Daniel Glöckner dg at emlix.com
Mon Nov 29 11:34:03 CET 2010

On 11/28/2010 01:07 PM, Mark Brown wrote:
> I'm a little concerned that there have been no updates to the s6000
> audio drivers since the merge of multi-component ASoC (which is now in
> mainline and should be released as part of 2.6.37).  This was a very
> big and invasive update, and experience with other architectures has
> been that there's usually at least some typos that need fixing.  It'd be
> good to get some confirmation that the audio drivers have at least been
> tested with current mainline - if everything worked fine that's
> obviously excellent but it'd be good if someone could confirm that this
> is the case.

Oh dear, you killed Schrödinger's cat..

Yes there are some bugs in the s6000 ASoC code.
A missing semicolon at the end of s6000_i2s_dai, a lacking forward
declaration of s6000_soc_platform in the request_irq line, and a reference
to codec->snd_card which should probably be changed to codec->card->snd_card.

But trying to build a s6105 kernel from vanilla sources made me realize
two things:
1. Nobody ever tried to do that before as s6000 support has been merged
   incompletely and in some cases with merge errors (variant_irq_disable
   declaration, I2C_BOARD_INFO in struct platform_device[], clk framework
   missing completely).
2. Compiling Xtensa kernels in general is broken at least since 2.6.35-rc1
   because of e520c41085

So for now I could just compile-test the ASoC changes. Actually booting a
kernel will probably take more of my spare time..
Would you like to have patches for the found ASoC bugs now or do you prefer
waiting until I could make it work on hardware?

  Daniel

--
Dipl.-Math. Daniel Glöckner, emlix GmbH, http://www.emlix.com
Fon +49 551 30664-0, Fax -11, Bahnhofsallee 1b, 37081 Göttingen, Germany

emlix - your embedded linux partner