[alsa-devel] ALSA Multichannel through HDMI

John Ettedgui john.ettedgui at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 12:09:51 CET 2010

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 2:49 AM, Anssi Hannula <anssi.hannula at iki.fi> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On 25.11.2010 06:12, John Ettedgui wrote:
>> I'm actually trying to get a 5.1 setup working without passthrough, if
>> I use mplayer with passthrough my receiver behaves just fine, but I am
>> trying to send the 6 channels from the computer.
>>
>> I was actually told that the current ALSA driver for radeon's hdmi
>> does not support more than 2 channels, and that would explain why I'm
>> getting this behavior. Is that true though?
>
> Yes.
>

> However, strangely your log output seems to show the intel's hdmi parser
> being used instead:
>
>> ALSA sound/pci/hda/patch_intelhdmi.c:842: hdmi_setup_stream: NID=0x2,
>> stream=0x1, new-format=0x11
>
> Were you just trying some patch at the time?
>
> --
> Anssi Hannula

Hi,

yes Wu gave me a patch to try against the kernel, I'm guessing this is
the reason you see something unexpected.

Since I just moved to jack/rca cables I'm in no hurry anymore, but is
there any reason why the driver cannot work with more than 2 channels?
Anything I could do to help with that?

Thank you!

John