[alsa-devel] ALSA Multichannel through HDMI

John Ettedgui john.ettedgui at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 05:12:16 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 7:59 PM, Mohammad Bahathir Hashim
<bahathir at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2010-11-24, John Ettedgui <john.ettedgui at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 9:02 PM, Wu Fengguang <fengguang.wu at intel.com> wrote:
>> I am sorry to resurrect this thread after so long, but I still have
>> not been able to get anywhere.
>> Also it just came to my attention that if my receiver always sees the
>> hdmi connection as stereo (apart from when using ac3/dts passthrough)
>> channel remapping is not the solution, but somehow something else is
>> messed up.
>>
>> I think I should try some options in modprobe.conf for snd-hda-intel
>> but I am not sure which ones, and from all the examples I can find on
>> the web, it seems none of them are talking about a radeon hdmi
>> connection...
>>
>> So I'm asking for advice here again :)
>>
>> Thanks!
>

> Hi, I think there are developments in ffmpeg projects, to support
> multichannel passthrough through HDMI, ALSO only provides infra and
> interface to the HDMI. The passthrough decoding is handled by apps.
>

> Here is the snippet from the ffmpeg's 'svn log'
> r25760 | cehoyos | 2010-11-17 20:22:59 +0800 (Wed, 17 Nov 2010) | 6 lines
>
> Add support for IEC 61937 ("SPDIF") encapsulation for E-AC-3.
> Only works via HDMI.
>
> Patch by Anssi Hannula (anssi d hannula a iki d fi), based on some work
> by myself.
>
> Thank you.

Hey Mohammad,

I'm actually trying to get a 5.1 setup working without passthrough, if
I use mplayer with passthrough my receiver behaves just fine, but I am
trying to send the 6 channels from the computer.

I was actually told that the current ALSA driver for radeon's hdmi
does not support more than 2 channels, and that would explain why I'm
getting this behavior. Is that true though?

Thanks!
John