[alsa-devel] asoc register read/write calls

Koul, Vinod vinod.koul at intel.com
Thu Nov 25 04:31:18 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 6:24PM +0530, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 06:11:51PM +0530, Koul, Vinod wrote:
> > Mark,
>
> Please remember to always CC maintainers on posts to the mailing lists.
> I've reminded you of this on quite a few previous occasions.
I apologize for this, will be double careful in future...

> > In the asoc framework, do the codec register read-write calls need to be
> atomic?
> > Will it work in non-atomic context?
>
> There is no requirement for atomic context, in fact vanishingly few
> CODECs can be accessed in atomic context as pretty much all of them
> are controlled using I2C or SPI.
I don't have SPI or I2C to read/write my codec :-(
I need to use read/write apis defined in <asm/intel_scu_ipc.h>
	int intel_scu_ipc_ioread8(u16 addr, u8 *data);
	int intel_scu_ipc_iowrite8(u16 addr, u8 data);
and these can block a little while they get/set the data.

But since that is not an issue, makes my life easy :-)

Thanks
~Vinod