[alsa-devel] Writing a driver for Sound Card

Ramya Desai ramya.desai at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 13:47:10 CET 2010

Dear All,

I am new to this Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) driver. I developed a
few drivers in Linux kernel environment for PCI based devices which
are of type character and block. I am going through the following link
for writing a driver for my custom sound card.

I have a doubt about the Linux sound driver architecture. I need to
develop the driver with mixer, player, recorder, MIDI etc. components.
Do I need to develop these components in single driver OR Do I need to
develop as a individual component (one driver for one component).

I looked into the /usr/src/linux-2.6.35/sound directory. I did not
understand it completely. Is there any driver (sample) which I can go

Please let me know.

Any help greatly appreciated and helpful to me.

Thanks and Regards,
Srinivas G