[alsa-devel] Changing default card using its name

Pavel Hofman pavel.hofman at ivitera.com
Tue Nov 23 09:54:48 CET 2010

Pavel Hofman napsal(a):
> Hi,
> Please excuse my ignorance but I have not been able to figure out this
> simple task. Nowadays most PCs have multiple soundcards (onboard plus
> HDMI, often another PCI card). Order of the cards is not stable. How do
> I define in /etc/asound.conf another default card using its name and
> keep the PCMs defined by its corresponding alsa card/pcm config files?
> In my case aplay -L:
> defaults.ctl.card "CMI8768"
> which IMO would have been the simplest solution.

Well, adding the exclamation mark

!defaults.pcm.card "CMI8768"

does not work either. It may look trivial, but changing the default card
 while preserving the fine-tuned device definitions the for each card in
/usr/share/alsa/pcm/* and /usr/share/alsa/cards/* has been an
unattainable peak for me so far. Neither have I been able to google it
anywhere. IMO there must be a simple way to do this key change.

Thanks a lot for suggestion and hints.