[alsa-devel] HDA Analyzer - Dell M4500 Internal Mic

adam adam_jh at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 22 21:48:40 CET 2010

> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 2:07 AM, Luke Yelavich <themuso <at> ubuntu.com>
wrote:
> > TO get a better idea of what has changed, could you also send a copy of the
codec prior to the changes you made?

> I've included my NEW (working) codec (thus not the old...).
> Furthermore here is the info of lspci -vvnn. I'm using the HDA Intel,
> not the Nvidia chip.
>
> Thanks for helping!
>
> - Tom

NB to make this change permanent, I used HDA Analyzer tool, found the card 0,
codec 0 and ticked the box which said input.

however, I undid this because it didn't work. I got my solution from:
http://gaspuu.blogspot.com/2010/10/dell-precision-m4500.html

for ubuntu, all I had to add to:
    sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
was
    options snd-hda-intel model=dell-s14

and restart. I had changed the System->preferences->"multimedia systems
selector" input to be alsa - but not sure I needed to.