[alsa-devel] HDMI on HDA device=3

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Tue Nov 9 16:16:41 CET 2010

On 2010-11-09 15:58, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2010, David Henningsson wrote:
>
>> I have seen a few HDMIs which share the HDA controller with the onboard
>> sound card, but the codecs are different, e g the onboard one is at
>> address #0 and the HDMI is at address #3 - or even #3, #7, #8 and #9 in
>> some cases.
>>
>> Now, if the user specifies the device string hdmi:x (where x is card
>> name/number), I'd like it to kind of autodetect this and use DEV=3
>> instead of DEV=0, and without breaking the cards where the hdmi is a
>> separate card with a codec at address #0. However, it still seems like
>> the device is at DEV=3 somehow.
>>
>> Now, looking at /usr/share/alsa/cards/HDA-Intel.conf, I notice that
>> there are entries HDA-Intel.pcm.hdmi.0 which sets DEV=3, so it seems
>> like someone already thought of this. However, just using "hdmi:x" does
>> not trigger "DEV=3". I'm still not grepping all of the alsa lisp
>> architecture stuff, so could someone explain to me how the
>> HDA-Intel.pcm.hdmi.0 entry relates to the "hdmi:x" alsa device string?
>
> It's not about a lisp (this portion of code is not used at all). It's
> about the (partly) dynamic alsa-lib configuration.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

> Use always indexes from 0.. (hdmi:0,0 etc..) Fist number is card number,
> second number is device number (which is logical device number mapped to
> different physical device number in case when HDA card contains both
> analog and HDMI sections).
>
> If you read HDA-Intel.conf, you'll get this device mapping (logical,
> physical):
>
> 0 -> 3
> 1 -> 7
> 2 -> 8
> 3 -> 9
>
> Perhaps, something does not work correctly?

Hmm, this is a little confusing. Do all these mean the same thing, and
do they all correspond to the logical device number?

hdmi:x,y
hdmi:CARD=x,y
hdmi:CARD=x,DEV=y
hdmi:CARD=x,DEVICE=y

And would hdmi:x and hdmi:x,0 be the same thing?

And if all these correspond to the logical device number, is there any
way you can specify the physical device number directly in the connect
string?

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic