[alsa-devel] HDMI on HDA device=3

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Tue Nov 9 15:42:33 CET 2010

I have seen a few HDMIs which share the HDA controller with the onboard
sound card, but the codecs are different, e g the onboard one is at
address #0 and the HDMI is at address #3 - or even #3, #7, #8 and #9 in
some cases.

Now, if the user specifies the device string hdmi:x (where x is card
name/number), I'd like it to kind of autodetect this and use DEV=3
instead of DEV=0, and without breaking the cards where the hdmi is a
separate card with a codec at address #0. However, it still seems like
the device is at DEV=3 somehow.

Now, looking at /usr/share/alsa/cards/HDA-Intel.conf, I notice that
there are entries HDA-Intel.pcm.hdmi.0 which sets DEV=3, so it seems
like someone already thought of this. However, just using "hdmi:x" does
not trigger "DEV=3". I'm still not grepping all of the alsa lisp
architecture stuff, so could someone explain to me how the
HDA-Intel.pcm.hdmi.0 entry relates to the "hdmi:x" alsa device string?

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic