[alsa-devel] Balanced output support for Xonar: Patches for Virtuoso driver to add mixer option for balanced mono output (PCM179x dacs)

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Tue Nov 2 09:56:36 CET 2010

Christian Wisner-Carlson wrote:
> I have the  H6 working somewhat. I added a lot of I2C resets (and a
> loop to make sure the bus is free before trying to write to it).

Can you find out when exactly the I²C bus gets wedged?  (I'd guess at
the first access to an off-board DAC.)

Do any of the I²C writes to the H6 actually get through (i.e., do
all eight volume controls work?)

(The first D2 Windows driver versions had a bug, taken over from the
AK4396 models, where it used the wrong SPI output for the fourth DAC,
so that that chip would never get any register write.  Nobody noticed.)

> HOWEVER, when the H6 is connected, and i switch from 128x OS,

"to"?

> the sound stops and becomes a high pitched whine or other noise, or
> just stops, as if the DACs lost lock on the MCLK signal. The same
> thing happens when i play ANYTHING at 96khz or 192khz sampling rate.
> However, 88.2khz still plays at 64x OS. Given that a 24.576MHz
> single-ended signalis being sent UNBUFFERED over an UNSHIELDED  ribbon
> cable, this does not surprise me. I am guessing that the Asus drivers
> probably use a lower MCLK rate. Any ideas?

As far as I can tell (without running the Windows driver), it uses the
standard 256x/128x MCLK rates for the standard I²S output, but the
CS2000 (connected to the "ADC1" I²S MCLK) is always configured for half
that rate although the PCM179x registers are still configured for the
'full' rate.

Can you find out which of the I²S MCLK outputs is used for the onboard
DAC and for the H6?  I'd conclude from the above that the CS2000 might
be used for all of them, but then I don't know how the HDAV would work
with the H6 at high clock rates.

Does the Windows driver allow 192 kHz with the H6?  (This is using 128x
in both drivers.)

> My old Audigy 2 buffered the MCLK (24.576Mhz) with a 74F125, although
> I am reluctant to do this. Perhaps I will try replacing the relevent
> part of the ribbon cable with a shielded cable. Is this worth trying?

Better try changing mclk_from_rate() to always use the smallest possible
MCLK rate; update_pcm1796_oversampling() then needs to be changed too.
According to the PCM179x datasheets, up to 48 kHz requires at least
256x, while 96-192 kHz can run at 128x.  (We always use I²C fast mode,
even with codecs that are not documented to support it; the CMI8788
seems to be buggy at the standard I²C speed.)

Regards,
Clemens