[alsa-devel] iec958 and 24-bit audio

pl bossart bossart.nospam at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 21:03:31 CET 2010

>> [alsa-lib]$ aplay -Diec958 file24bits.wav
>> aplay: set_params:1059: Sample format non available
>> Available formats:
>> - S16_LE
>> - S32_LE
>>
>> Is there an built-in assumption that the iec958 device can only take
>> as input what the slave hardware device supports?
>
> Use 'plug:iec958' device if you want to do the format conversion (from
> 24-bit to 32-bit format).

That seems to work, but what I was asking is if there's a direct path
without conversion? With plug:iec958 there's a conversion to 32-bits
and then you drop the lsb.
Also PulseAudio seems to rely on iec958 and when it doesn't work it
tries with plug:iec958. What's the recommended way of using this
device? Should we always open plug:iec958?
Thanks
-Pierre