[alsa-devel] Mixer volume/decibel mapping

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Tue May 25 10:21:58 CEST 2010

James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> On 21 May 2010 07:35, Clemens Ladisch <clemens at ladisch.de> wrote:
>> James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>>> For the cards that do have this 32bit linear value, a simple lookup
>>> table is used in the kernel code to convert it to 256 step values.
>>
>> Which driver is this?  It should be changed to use the full range.
>
> All creative and emu cards with a DSP.
> They use a lookup table in the driver.

Okay, with the latest driver, try:
  modprobe snd-emu10k1 high_res_gpr_volume=1

I did not yet enable this by default because alsactl has a bug when
restoring mixer values saved by the old driver, and alsamixer currently
thinks it is a good idea to let you step through two billion values.

Regards,
Clemens