[alsa-devel] Creating a /dev entry.

Adish Kuvelker adkuvi at gmail.com
Tue May 18 15:21:31 CEST 2010

Hello,

I am writing a ALSA driver for the AtlasIII AC'97 Controller. The
controller communicates with the AC'97 Codec and the necessary PCM,
Sequencer, Control and Timer nodes are created in the /sys. Also I get
the necessary information registered in the procfs under /proc/asound.
However, I do not see any sound nodes created under /dev. Are these
nodes created by the sound driver registration function which creates
necessary files under /sys or will I have to use utilities like
"snddevices" to create the "snd" node under /dev. I read that
"snddevices" would create the necessary entries under /dev/snd, and I
reckon that it does not create the entry "snd" under /dev.
Although I am using kernel 2.6.19.2, it doesn't have the "udev"
enabled. Will I need the "udev" to create these nodes under /dev?

Regards;
Aadish