[alsa-devel] HDA Intel - Activating S/PDIF output on an HP laptop (8510W).

Huw Hawkins huwrh at yahoo.com.au
Sat May 15 11:03:47 CEST 2010

Hi all,
   I have been quite happily using the intel HDA drivers to get audio on my
Compaq 8510W, everything works fine out of the box with the exception of the
HDMI output.

After some poking around I see that this is because the digital output is
disabled by the HP model specific code.

Setting the model as "basic" gives me perfect audio on the HDMI output, but
jack sensing is completely messed up, the mute button status is inverted and
it is not possible to get sound from the internal speakers. Setting the model
as "HP" diables the digital audio on the HDMI port.

It seems from a google search that there are a few people around with the same
issue on HP laptops with HDMI output. I don't really have the time to dig
through and understand the spec/code for the driver to try to fix the problem
myself. On the other hand I probably could spend an hour or two over the next
couple of weeks testing or investigating the hardware if someone else wants to
have a go.

Any takers?

Huw