[alsa-devel] underruns over network

Preston Kulaga pkulaga at gmail.com
Thu May 13 23:09:58 CEST 2010

Hello,

  I am quite new to ALSA and am having a bit of trouble with underruns.  I am
working on a voice communication system via udp sockets and am getting underruns
on receiving end very sporadically (capture end is fine).  Have done a great
deal of reading and searching on reasons for this but am not sure what approach
is best to limit the underruns.  I must not be transferring the data quickly
enough over the network before the ring buffer runs out of data, which makes
sense, but how would you accommodate for this?  I am able to buffer a large
amount of network data and then playback successfully, but obviously the delay
induced is so significant that it makes real-time communication impossible.
If I just recover/prepare the stream after an underrun the audio is horribly
distorted.  Is there a normal way of dealing with this issue that I am unable
to find?

I would appreciate any insight, guidance, references for any help you can
give me.  Thank You.