[alsa-devel] alsa-driver patches

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed May 12 10:25:05 CEST 2010

At Wed, 12 May 2010 13:05:54 +1200,
Eliot Blennerhassett wrote:

> Hi Takashi,
>
> since the acceptance of asihpi driver, and move to alsa-kernel, you
> created a couple of patch files in alsa-driver/pci/asihpi
> (that add conditional compilation for older kernels)
>
> Can you tell me how these patches are generated and maintained?
> (I guess this applies to any driver with this kind of patch).

This is simply a diff against to the corresponding file in alsa-kernel
tree.  If older kernels require some changes (e.g. ifdef's), we patch
it locally in alsa-driver tree at building.

In the case of asihpi, it's generated like:

	% cd alsa-driver/pci/asihpi
	% diff -u ../../alsa-kernel/pci/asihpi/hpios.c hpios.c > hpios.patch

> I think that this arrangement means that my one upstream file needs to
> be converted to two files (kernel .c + patch) when I submit updates?

If your change in the kernel conflicts with the existing patch, yes,
it'd be appreciated if you give the patch, too.  Usually I make a
patch by myself.

thanks,