[alsa-devel] How to create an Alsa mixer for a USB device w/o mixer descriptor?

Felix Homann fexpop at web.de
Wed Mar 17 09:37:13 CET 2010

Hi,

as posted earlier, I've got a USB device (Fast Track Ultra 8R) wich
*has* a mixer unit but doesn't have a descriptor for it. It's operated
by standard control messages. Although I'm specifically interested in
my  device, I guess there are many more USB interfaces out there with
similar issues.

So in general:
What's the best way to build a Alsa mixer for such devices. Should one
bypass all the descriptor parsing and build a mixer specifically for the
device in interest? Or should one think about  passing a "fake"
descriptor to the mixer build process?

Any ideas?

Kind regards,

Felix