[alsa-devel] Configuration help please?

Dan Armbrust daniel.armbrust.list at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 17:12:26 CET 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Alex Austin
<circuitsoft.alex at gmail.com> wrote:
> That is a very complex thing you're asking for. 5.1 sound works by having
> mythtv pass the raw datastream out the spdif port. Stereo analog is decoded
> by mythtv, so to handle both, you would need mythtv to output the raw stream
> to spdif at the same time as it decodes to stereo on analog.
>
> You could have the stream split to two outputs, but the spdif would always
> be PCM stereo.

Hmm... or, I have to come up with some plugin configuration that would
cause alsa to decode the raw data, and pass the stereo channels out
the speakers I want... Is that even possible?

No wonder none of the dozens of people I have seen ask this question
on the mailing lists in the past has ever found (or at least posted) a
solution.

Thanks,

Dan