[alsa-devel] underrun problem when short audio play

ANISH KUMAR anish.singh at samsung.com
Tue Mar 9 13:44:36 CET 2010

Hi all,

I am facing a problem when i try to play short duration audio(problem is not observerd when i am
playing tones which is also short duration audio).
Somehow i am getting buffer overrun everytime i am playing short duration audio.
It is happening because of avail >= stop_threshold.

When i tried to increase the stop_threshold  but then i got "same audio played again kind of echo" problem.
I can't try the solution suggested by jaroslav i.e. checking for DRAINING state in lower level driver and stop
queuing because of some design issue as in my code i don't call drain function as soon as all buffers are written.
I wait for some time(in miliseconds) and then call drain function.

Please suggest any pointers.Should i increase the buffer size or stop_threshold both of which i tried but to no use.
I am always getting underrun problem that too always in the function update_hw_ptr_post function.

How can i disable the stop_threshold check??

Thanks,
anish