[alsa-devel] No CD mixer on Intel G35 (Asus P5E-V(M))

Mario 'BitKoenig' Holbe Mario.Holbe at TU-Ilmenau.DE
Tue Mar 2 20:28:22 CET 2010

On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 01:21:30PM +0100, Paul Menzel wrote:
> I think the developers like to have the output of `alsa-info.sh` [1][2].

Thanks very much for your hints.
Output of `alsa-info.sh' is attached.

> 1. Did ALSA ever detected the CD mixer on this board?

Hmmm, I found an asound.state in a very old backup (Jun 2009) which
suggests it was once there. In the next backup (Aug 2009) it seems gone.
I'm quite sure it was the same board like now (I had no other board with
Intel HDA at this time). Unfortunately I cannot find out which kernel
did run at this time. I tried old kernels from around this time but did
not succeed. I also tried to downgrade the BIOS to the one around this
time, no success either.
Maybe somebody is able to deduce something more out of the asound.state
files.

> 2. Did you try all different model parameters [2]? If not and it does
> not work please also attach sanely named files with the output of
> `alsa-info.sh`.

Aaaah, `modprobe snd-hda-intel model=asus-p5q' does the trick. CD mixer
is there, playing a CD gives sound and the rest seems to still work too.
This model gave some other new controls (Output: Channel Mode Switch:
6/8ch and Input: S/PDIF), I don't know how to test these. It did not
remove any controls.

I assume it would be safe to autodetect `P5E-V HDMI' and `P5E-VM HDMI'
to model=asus-p5q.
There are two other models in the P5E-V* series: `P5E-VM DO', and
`P5E-VM SE'. I don't really know them, but according to their manual
they all seem to have the same Intel G35 chipset, the same Realtek
ALC883 codec and a CD audio in connector.

> 3. Have you tried to build the modules yourself from Git head [1]?

Nope, I didn't :)

thanks again & regards
   Mario