[alsa-devel] snddevices issue

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Tue Jun 29 17:33:08 CEST 2010

Adish Kuvelker wrote:
> I find that the device nodes created in the /dev/snd for Control,
> Timer and pcmC0D0 have different minor numbers from the class devices
> created by the ALSA core.

The help text for the --enable-dynamic-minors option (when using the
alsa-driver package) or the CONFIG_SND_DYNAMIC_MINORS option (when
using the in-kernel ALSA) says that this can be used only when the
machine is running udev.  (If you are actually running udev, you don't
need the snddevices script).

> I just did kernel prints to capture the minor numbers

These numbers are also available in /proc/asound/devices.

Regards,
Clemens