[alsa-devel] ALSA SoC device tree bindings

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Sun Jun 27 22:53:29 CEST 2010

On 27 Jun 2010, at 13:39, Jon Smirl wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 5:42 AM, Mark Brown

>> well, especially in the design section which doesn't make any mention at
>> all of machine specific drivers.

> Do we really want to call them machine drivers? Machine drivers
> already exist in the basic non-audio platform code. Calling the audio
> drivers machine drivers overloads the term. In the Apple audio code
> they are called fabric drivers.

They've been called machine drivers for years. If you find this confusing
I'd suggest qualifying the name ("ASoC machine drivers"), I don't think
renaming them would be worthwhile just for PowerPC. Given the similarity
of their role I'm having a hard time seeing the overlap as a bad thing even
for the people who have difficulty with this.