[alsa-devel] snd_mixer_selem_get_playback_volume return value outside allowed range

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 10:35:14 CEST 2010

2010/6/19 Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie>

> 'Twas brillig, and Raymond Yau at 19/06/10 03:39 did gyre and gimble:

> >> No, it's the responsibility of the control implementation to return
> >> valid values (and to check that values that are being set are valid).
> >>

> >> Regards,
> >> Clemens
> >> _
> >>

> > The root cause of the bug is gnome-volume-control allow user to set
> > PA_VOLUME to 150% and PA return the value outside the allowed range of
> the
> > "master" volume control of the pulse device
> >

> http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-media/commit/?id=cfe5cf8d6826f2eacf0d2b109381ec61dda50185
>
> This is not the root cause of the bug Raymond. I have explained this
> several times now.
>
> This is perfectly acceptable behaviour in PA.
>
> I have stated the two possible solutions quite clearly (twice!) in one
> of the three threads you've managed to create on this topic.
>
> Please stop going on about the issue and please reply just once to each
> email, it's incredibly annoying trying to follow any discussion you
> comment on due to this deluge of responses.
>
> Col

I am discussing with Clemen 's patch  which clamp the display volume within
the allowed range is not correct. since the display percentage jump from
150% to 100% immediately but the actually value is still 9xxxx which is much
larger than 65536, the user has to pressed the down arrow key for a long
time (alsamixer seem freezing ) for the value to down below the allowed
range (100% to 99%)  when the buggy driver did not return value within
allowed range of control

I don't think this behaviour of alsamixer is normal

http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-utils.git;a=commitdiff;h=c9b86f49a8a1a8c337bf0c1b7f12749e8be781ed;hp=5a016b583b5c949253a9e791ad79f13e54f87054