[alsa-devel] Bug in alsa-lib or alsamixer and amixer

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 01:34:13 CEST 2010

2010/6/17 Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie>

> 'Twas brillig, and Raymond Yau at 16/06/10 23:09 did gyre and gimble:
> > It is either a alsa-pulse bug in delcaring not the full range of the
> volume
> > control or the pulseaudio server return the wrong value
>
> Dude, I've already explained *exactly* what's up here. I don't really
> see it as a problem, but restating over and over certainly isn't going
> to change anything.
>
> I can't really be bothered discussing this with you any further as it's
> clear your not even reading my replies.
>
> Col

The alsamixer was fixed to ensure that control volume values are in their
allowed range

so this is why 98304 was set back to allowed range , but it did not fix the
root cause of the problem

>> But this sucks as
>> the percentage shown in alsa is not the same as the percentage shown in
>> other GUIs.

alsamixer and amixer 's percentage were not designed as your purpose

Have you studied the source code of alsamixer and amixer

the alsa developers have already posted a lot of time in the mailist list ,
they prefer to use dB scale instead of percentage

http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-utils.git;a=commit;h=c9b86f49a8a1a8c337bf0c1b7f12749e8be781ed