[alsa-devel] wrong decibel data?

Lennart Poettering mznyfn at 0pointer.de
Mon Jun 14 20:38:23 CEST 2010

On Mon, 14.06.10 16:45, Raymond Yau (superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com) wrote:

> The correct way is to provide the real ALSA 's 0dB point (Playback volume)
> for the user of AC97 sound card so that they can record without any
> distortion using line in with the loopback cable connected to line out.

Jeez, man, I explained that in my original reply.

If I may quote myself:

   'On top of that most volume controls should then mark the ALSA 0dB
   point as "base" volume on the slider, at what PA then calls -y dB.

   That way we will expose 0dB as maximum hw amplitude uniformly on all
   sound cards and have a special point on the slider that is hinted to be
   the "comfort" point.

   This is all explained on

See? It's all explained there. We still show the ALSA 0dB point on our
sliders, we just don't call it "0dB" but "base volume".

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net