[alsa-devel] Mixer volume/decibel mapping

Sebastian H. vand2 at gmx.de
Wed Jun 9 09:34:48 CEST 2010

Am 09.06.2010 07:39, schrieb Raymond Yau:

>> in

>> offer
>> volume
>> for

>> and
>> TLV_DB_SCALE

>>> https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=4883
>>>
>>> Pekka Lampila reported that when he set -40dB and only get back -9999999
>> by
>>> his program alsa_mixer_test.c
>>>
>>> I don't have emu10k1 so don't know whether this is a bug of alsa-lib or
>> not
>>
>> I also get a big jump from -39.60dB to -99999.99 dB for some emu10k1
>> sliders when I move them to the minimum although their advertised
>> minimum is -40dB. This looks like a way to express log ( 0 ).
>>

> Do you ream snd_mixer_selem_get_Playback_dB_range() return 40dB but max_dB -
> min_dB = 99999.99 dB ?

e.g. snd_mixer_selem_get_playback_dB_range() for
"Wave Surround" returns -40.00 to 0.00 dB and the dB values returned by

snd_mixer_selem_get_playback_dB (
	elem, SND_MIXER_SCHN_MONO, &_db_value );

are all in this range except for when the volume ist set to 0.
At this and only this volume the returned dB value is out of range with
-99999.99 dB. For vol=1 the dB value is -39.60.