[alsa-devel] alsa-lib: snd_pcm_delay and friends do not account for a write being currently in progress

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Thu Jun 3 19:03:28 CEST 2010

John Lindgren wrote:
> I understand that snd_pcm_delay and snd_pcm_writei currently "interfere
> with each other" in that snd_pcm_delay returns wrong values if called
> during snd_pcm_writei.  That is the problem my patch tries to correct.

These values are not wrong; the problem is that your program does not
have enough information to interpret it correctly.

> Do you have a problem with patches that improve the current situation?

A blocking write call is an abstraction on top of the underlying
non-blocking writes.  Using a blocking write implies that your program
wants to write the entire block and does not care about how the timing
of the chunks that are actually written.

I do not consider it an improvement if a patch adds complexity, if the
same functionality is already available.  Non-blocking mode was designed
for the case where you want to know the actual amount of data at every
point in time.

> > > Would it work to simply call snd_pcm_wait?
> >
> > Yes.  (I usually suggest poll because the code that writes audio data
> > often wants to be informed of some other event.  If your writing loop
> > doesn't need to be interrupted, snd_pcm_wait works just fine.)
>
> It is permissible, then, to call snd_pcm_delay during a snd_pcm_wait
> call?

It will work in practice (snd_pcm_wait is just a wrapper around poll).

> What would be the cleanest way to interrupt snd_pcm_wait when we need to
> stop the stream?  Will snd_pcm_drop work?

*sigh*
This will _not_ work.

You have to use poll so that you can send your loop a message (through
a pipe/eventfd/whatever) that tells it to stop.

Regards,
Clemens