[alsa-devel] ASoC: Defining "signed integer" mixer controls?

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 14:09:31 CEST 2010

On 3 June 2010 12:21, Mark Brown <broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 08:09:36AM +0100, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>
>> ALSA is not set up to convert bitfields to dB values.
>
> ASoC (which is what he's actually using here) is - most controls are
> defined as bitfields in the register map.

I was approaching it from the user space/kernel space divide.
The user space does not handle bitfields for controls, it uses integers.
The driver must therefore present the controls within the hardware as
integers to user space.
I thought he was having problems because the translation was not being
done in the driver, so user space was handling the value wrongly.