[alsa-devel] asoc multi-component: almost there!

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Tue Jul 27 20:45:01 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 01:20:58PM -0500, Timur Tabi wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Liam Girdwood <lrg at slimlogic.co.uk> wrote:

> > I think you are probably a special case here since you are the only
> > person who is dynamically building a DAI link array atm. Everyone else
> > has a static table.

> I thought the whole point behind this "multi-component" stuff was to
> eliminate the need for static tables!

For most systems the major win is that we can have more than one CODEC
(or other register based device) in a single system.  Static tables
really aren't a problem for anyone else, at the end of the day you have
a static table somewhere for the board - it's just that with your device
tree usage you've put that data into the device tree.

The change in the particular static data to provide a layer of
indirection from the actual DAI/CODEC structures is a win for other
people because it helps probe multiple instances of the same CODEC, but
there's still some static data.

> Look at cs4270.c.  The chip has only one digital interface, so I have
> a single DAI structure.  Are you telling me that I need to have two
> DAIs in the CS4270 driver?  Won't that break something else?

Yeah, I think if we can't have the same audio interface in more than one
DAI link we probably have a problem with multi-drop links and with
independant wiring of TX and RX directions.