[alsa-devel] hda-verb, hda-analyzer, hda-emu and codecgraph

Jaroslav Kysela perex at perex.cz
Tue Jul 27 16:57:44 CEST 2010

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> At Tue, 27 Jul 2010 16:07:31 +0200 (CEST),
> Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 27 Jul 2010, Takashi Iwai wrote:

>>> I can put hda-emu to alsa-tools if anyone wants.
>>> This is a really small code.  (But I didn't put it because I didn't
>>> want to 100 times bigger auto-tools stuff for it :)
>>>
>>> But, hda-emu doesn't suit with alsa-tools category.  It's a tool to
>>> be built with the latest (or the version to be tested) sound kernel
>>> tree.  So, it's not much worth to package.
>>>
>>> hda-analyzer is already in alsa.git.  I guess it depends on Jaroslav.
>>
>> What about an idea to move all hda related stuff to new git repository
>> like alsa-hda-tools ? It will make packaging more easy with uniform
>> name and developers will find all recent stuff at one place.
>
> Well, hda-emu shouldn't be packaged together, so I'd like to keep it

I would just put the hda-emu to repo for reference and access. The
packaging is different thing.

> separately.  So, what else?  hda-verb and hda-analyzer?  hda-verb
> hasn't been updated since long time ago :)

A little off topic: hda-compiler . I'm playing with an idea to have the
hda-intel driver behaviour description (patches) in a firmware file. This
file would contain an indexing against the hw identification and will
contain instruction like:

32-bit 	(size and instruction)
 	16-bit - instruction code
 	16-bit - instruction size in 32-bit words

Possible instructions examples:

0x00010001 0x00000010	- attach beep device for NID 0x10

Instruction blocks:
- hw initialization and controls, PCMs + etc. allocation (patch callback)
- function blocks - control info/get/put callbacks, unsolicited events

Variables, arrays:
- instructions to set/fetch information
- instructions to allocate and manage arrays

It's just a rough idea - many things must be designed and thinked out. But
we need a compiler from an easy readable text syntax to generate these
"firmware" files - hda-compiler.

 					Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <perex at perex.cz>