[alsa-devel] Realtek alc269 questions

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Jul 26 12:29:09 CEST 2010

At Mon, 26 Jul 2010 12:01:50 +0200,
David Henningsson wrote:

> I'm trying to fix the sound on some Dell Optiplex machines, which are
> running the ALC269 chip. I can "fix" them with some hda-verb commands,
> but that won't get me auto-mute, so I'll have to make a model (or
> possibly more than one) for them.

What is actually a problem?

> Anyway, I have a pair of questions:
>
> 1) In dmesg, there is a "SKU not ready" message at startup. What is SKU,
> and is it a problem that it is not ready?

Realtek codecs suppose that the device PCI SSID is set up for
indicating hardware functionalities.  This is Realtek-specific, and
most vendors don't follow.  The driver spews some messages when the
SSID isn't compliant.

> 2) There are two DACs, and all models so far seem to use NID 0x03 for
> headphones and NID 0x02 for everything else. But is there a single
> stream going through the controller and then splitted into two on the
> codec side, or is just one of the DACs activated at a time, depending on
> the jack sensing state?

Both DACs use the same single stream at the same time.