[alsa-devel] [Fwd: Re: [pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio debug mode]

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jul 26 11:26:58 CEST 2010

'Twas brillig, and Raymond Yau at 26/07/10 04:22 did gyre and gimble:
> But I have another question ,
> did update manager stop pulseaudio server when the update manager want to
> update pulseaudio package ?
> Actually I don't notice yum -y update stop the PA server if it updated
> pulseaudio package (install new pulseaudio and remove old pulseaudio
> package) and restart PA server on Fedora 10

PA is *not* restarted when a new version is installed and I suspect this
does not happen on Fedora either (but I could be wrong).

The reason is that PA is a per-user daemon, not a system service. If
three users were logged in, then each of their PA servers would need to
be killed and restarted but due to console-kit, only the active user
would get access to the devices which could cause enumeration issues etc.

It could maybe be handled better, but doing so would be rather complex.

Colin Guthrie

Day Job:
Open Source:
  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]