[alsa-devel] Missing config option for SFFSDR_FPGA

Christian Dietrich qy03fugy at stud.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Wed Jul 21 12:58:33 CEST 2010

Hi all!

        As part of the VAMOS[0] research project at the University of
Erlangen we are looking at multiple integrity errors in linux'
configuration system.

        I've been running a check on the sound/ sourcetree for
config Items not defined in Kconfig and found such a case. Sourcecode
blocks depending on these Items are not reachable from a vanilla
kernel -- dead code. I've seen such dead blocks made on purpose
e.g. while integrating new features into the kernel but generally
they're just useless.

There are two ifdef blocks, which do a check on CONFIG_SFFSDR_FPGA, but
this flag isn't defined anywhere. There is an select in
sound/soc/davinci[1], but Kconfig doesn't define the symbol, if there
isn't a config option for it. So this blocks can never be selected. I
don't think this is intended, so i didn't wrote a patch. Please just
notice it.

Regards
        Christian Dietrich

[0] http://vamos1.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/
[1] sound/soc/davinci/Kconfig:      select SFFSDR_FPGA
    sound/soc/davinci/davinci-sffsdr.c:#ifdef CONFIG_SFFSDR_FPGA
    sound/soc/davinci/davinci-sffsdr.c:#ifndef CONFIG_SFFSDR_FPGA
    sound/soc/davinci/davinci-sffsdr.c:#ifndef CONFIG_SFFSDR_FPGA
--
(λ x . x x) (λ x . x x) -- See how beatiful the lambda is
No documentation is better than bad documentation