[alsa-devel] Merging alsa-firmware into linux-firmware

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Thu Jul 22 14:41:20 CEST 2010

On 2010-07-22 13:20, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Thu, 22 Jul 2010 12:07:33 +0200,
> David Henningsson wrote:
>> usx2yloader however seems to put files outside the /lib/firmware path
>> (/usr/share/alsa/...), and I believe it has a userspace firmware loader
>> triggered by an udev event.
>
> These are basically for 2.2 / 2.4 kernels.  Don't touch them unless you
> are 100% sure you do right :)

Assuming you mean the tascam usx2yloader, a little digging shows that,

1) the usx2y driver never calls request_firmware (unless I really missed
something)

2) there is an Ubuntu specific patch which creates an udev rule for
calling tascam_fw and tascam_fpga (from alsa-tools) when a tascam device
is connected.

Are you saying that the tascam devices (us122, us224, us428) no longer
need that firmware?

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic