[alsa-devel] ASoC: multi-component updates from RFC

Peter Ujfalusi peter.ujfalusi at nokia.com
Thu Jul 22 08:27:16 CEST 2010

Hello Liam,

On Wednesday 21 July 2010 15:31:30 ext Liam Girdwood wrote:

> The only other change I've made is fixing the twl4030 and DAC33 codec
> probe and remove (as spotted by Peter).

I'm in the process of checking the changes.
For the twl4030 I have spotted the following:
1. twl-core registers "twl4030_codec" platform device.
2. The driver for this is the drivers/mfd/twl4030-codec.c
3. this MFD driver registers the following platform devices:
   twl4030_codec_audio
   twl4030_codec_vibra
4. the sound/soc/codecs/twl4030.c is the twl4030_codec_audio driver
5. the drivers/input/misc/twl4030-vibra.c is the twl4030_codec_vibra driver
Note: the platform data is propagated from board files to mfd/twl4030-codec.c,
than this mfd driver passes the appropriate platform data to the soc codec, and
vibra driver.

The codec part of twl40x0, twl50x0 has vibra and audio functionality, and they
have interoperability problems (sharing the same resources).

The name for the drivers/mfd/twl4030-codec.c is chosen, because the TRM refers
to this block as codec (audio + vibra).
We could go, and rename however this mfd driver to twl4030-audio (since the TRM
randomly refers to audio block instead of codec).
Than we can have twl4030-codec as device name for the soc codec, and twl4030-
vibra for the vibra.

I'll continue on checking the changes...

--
Péter