[alsa-devel] Merging alsa-firmware into linux-firmware

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Wed Jul 21 15:31:26 CEST 2010

On 2010-07-21 08:53, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> David Henningsson wrote:
>> On 2010-07-20 15:31, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
>>> I wonder what you're going to do about the multisound firmware files;
>>> the /lib/firmware/turtlebeach/*.bin files are just symbolic links to
>>> the actual files in /etc/sound that owners of these cards (if any such
>>> still exist) are supposed to have.
>>
>> Ah, thanks for bringing this up to my attention. From where do these
>> .bin-files come originally?
>
> I don't know more than what Documentation/sound/oss/MultiSound says.
> The download links in there are, of course, broken; with Google, I've
> found msndvkit.zip but not pnddk100.zip.
>
>> Can we include them?
>
> | This developer's kit does not provide you with a license to distribute
> | any of the contained software, including, but not limited to
> | DSPCODE.OBJ, MCONTROL.C. Developers wishing to use these in specific
> | applications can do so by requesting and returning the "MultiSound DSP
> | OEM Licensing Agreement".
> |
> | Turtle Beach's policy on redistribution is simple. For a license fee
> | of $1, we allow developers to distribute the above code modules along
> | with their products, provided that MultiSound hardware is included in
> | the target product. Since DSP_CODE.OBJ only works with MultiSound
> | hardware, this is the only logical use of the code.
>
> Try asking Turtle Beach.

Right. I'll leave them out for now (i e I'll not merge them) for the
following reasons:

1) The people having these files could just put them in /lib/firmware
instead of in /etc/sound

2) The symlinks never worked on Medibuntu, and Medibuntu got no bugs
about that, so probably noone out there uses the firmware anyway. ;-)

>>> (Er, wasn't there a regression introduced in the emi62 firmware in
>>> 2.6.27?)
> http://xiphmont.livejournal.com/46858.html

The emi26/emi62 firmware already exists in linux-firmware, so I won't
merge them either (and that patch in the link is against linux-firmware
and not alsa-firmware).

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic