[alsa-devel] Merging alsa-firmware into linux-firmware

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Tue Jul 20 17:47:45 CEST 2010

On 2010-07-20 15:31, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> David Henningsson wrote:
>> Chase Douglas (@canonical) and I plan to take what's left of
>> alsa-firmware and try to merge it into linux-firmware, this might happen
>> now or in the coming weeks. This will make alsa-firmware obsolete as all
>> firmware will be provided by linux-firmware instead.
>
> Good idea; these packages have exactly the same purpose.
>
>> Any words of ... warnings
>
> I wonder what you're going to do about the multisound firmware files;
> the /lib/firmware/turtlebeach/*.bin files are just symbolic links to
> the actual files in /etc/sound that owners of these cards (if any such
> still exist) are supposed to have.

Ah, thanks for bringing this up to my attention. From where do these
.bin-files come originally? Can we include them?

> The stuff in emi_26_62 isn't used.  (Er, wasn't there a regression
> introduced in the emi62 firmware in 2.6.27?)

I noticed that linux-firmware had one emi26 and one emi62 directory, as
opposed to alsa-firmware that puts it in the emagic directory. So given
your comment, I'll just drop them from the emagic dir.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic